Photobucket

Saturday, March 8, 2008

BE CAREFUL WHEN TEACHING FROM KINGS

I was listening to a message preached during chapel services at Bob Jones University. I have the message on my I-pod but could not find the audio available on the internet. If you subscribe to their podcast, you may be able to find the audio.

The text for the message was 1 Kings 14.

In this chapter we have the story of Jeroboam and his sick child.
Jeroboam sends his wife to ask the prophet of God what is going to happen to his child. The prophet's name was Ahijah. The person preaching the message decided to give some historical context for the story, which is a good thing. He correctly identified the prophet Ahijah as the one who told Jeroboam that he would be king (1 Kings 11:29-32).

He then went on to describe the story in 1 Kings 13.

He said the man of God confronts Jeroboam about his idolatry, but Jeroboam rejected the rebuke and reached out to grab the man of God. When he did this, his hand was dried up according to the language of the KJV. Jeroboam then asks the man of God to pray for him so that his hand can be restored. The speaker identified the man of God in 1 Kings 13 as the prophet Ahijah.

My question is simple: Is Ahijah the man of God spoken of in this passage? If you think so, explain your answer. If not, explain your answer.

Please post your answers in the comments section, or you can e-mail them to me at:
tsrk30@sbcglobal.net
Bookmark and Share
> posted by Trevor Hammack at

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Hammack, I tried to email you my answer but it didn't work, I don't think that it is the prophet Ahijah, cuz chapter 13 dosen't specify what prophet it is just the man of God, But I only used the passages you gave in this post!

p.s. I don't have my own blog so I used the Hannah/miley world one.

-Jenna Heggedahl

March 12, 2008 at 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I just rememberd this, in chapter 11:29 Ahijah was talking to Solomon; not his son Rehoboam,
But in chapter 13 the King at the time was Rehoboam!


-Jenna Heggedahl

March 12, 2008 at 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The man of God in 1 Kings 13 was eaten by a lion for going back with an old prophet who lied to him (1Kings 13:18). So no the man of God in chapter 13 is not Ahijah in chapter 14.
Twila

March 12, 2008 at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home