Photobucket

Thursday, January 22, 2009

THE GIFT OF TONGUES:

THE GIFT OF TONGUES:
COMPARING THE CHURCH FATHERS
WITH CONTEMPORARY PENTECOSTALISM


Though the church fathers, who lived shortly after the apostles, said
relatively little about the gift of tongues, what they did say furnishes a helpful
comparison with what contemporary Pentecostalism says about the gift.

Here is a link to an in-depth look at what the church fathwrs had to say about the subject:

This is a link directly to a pdf file

tongues

Bookmark and Share
> posted by Trevor Hammack at

1 Comments:

Blogger freright123 said...

I'm a pentecostal. I read the beginning and end of what you had of the gift of speaking with tongues.
First off what you wrote of Pentecostals saying we thinks it's "self-induced" is a flat lie. When I receive the gift I do not know what I'm saying unless I or a person around me interprets. Now my speaking in tongues is for my own edification. But to interpret or prophesy is for the edification of the church. When we speak in tongues they are NOT "pre-learned" words as this page says they are.
There has been may times linguists have heard someone speak in tongues and they spoke in a different language.
eg. a woman spoke in tongues and the man linguists said she was speaking a certain dialect from the Philippines. She was saying, "fill me with your living water, fill me with your living water."

Joh 7:38-39 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

What that woman was saying in the spirit went right along with Biblical teaching.

now I haven't read the full pages yet because I don't have time at this present, but I will read when I get the chance.

But yes there are many times we speak with tongues with no interpretation, which the Bible doesn't teach against that either.
Although it is BEST to speak in tongues unless there is an interpretation.

God Bless

Jess

June 10, 2009 at 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home