Photobucket

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Plan, Plan, Plan...What TO DO!?

For those of you who know me...I am by trade a planner. I am an Air Force B-1B bomber pilot. Right now I'm going through Flight Lead upgrade and soon I'll be doing Instructor Pilot training in the B-1. Needless to say I'm being trained to plan everything down to the microsecond! In the flying world this can be the key to either mission success...or mission failure and even death!

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon and cut it with an axe! When we take trips in the car it drives my wife crazy...I have to plan everything. Same thing happens when we decide to go on vacation...what are we going to do every second.
I'm planning to go to Dallas Theological Seminary in 2 1/2 years to finish my ThM. After that (around 2012-2013) I'm planning to go to Connecticut and plant a Reformed Baptist church. I'm planning to live off my meagre Air Force retirement, in addition to money made in a small woodworking business (I love woodworking!).
Now, I've made lots of plans...but what if they aren't the Lord's? How will I know what to do? During my daily readings I was reading Proverbs 16 and came across a few passages for folks like me...read and heed!
  • Proverbs 16:3- "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established."

  • Proverbs 16:9- "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps."

  • Proverbs 16:25- "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

Planning is good...but the planning needs to be based on Scriptural principles. First...is what I'm planning in accord with God's Word? Am I committing my plans/works to the Lord and His goals for my life, for His glory? If so then I can trust that He will establish my thoughts. I can devise my ways all I want...but the Sovereign Lord directs my steps...my way is not always the right way...the way I plan can seem to be right to me...but my Jeremiah 17:9 heart may lead me astray.

Be in the Word, be Christ-centered and trust that He will direct our paths. Doors close...doors open and I can look back and see God's providential guiding hand in all my past...I guess I can trust Him to figure the rest out!

Bookmark and Share
> posted by Jim Leavenworth at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home