Photobucket

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Are you a Recovering Fundamentalist too?


Hey there! It seems that there are large numbers of folks who have been leaving the Fundamental Baptist movement and have been joining the ranks of the Reformed Baptists. Having recently done this myself I just have to recommend a book that is funny, serious and sad at the same time. Now, understand me, there are many, many good churches in this movement and many serious Christians that are dedicated to the Lord and His word...unfortunately there are a lot of snakes and wolves in there as well (same most anywhere you go!).


I just wonder if there are some folks out there who, like me, were worn out in the Fundamental camp and who struggled with the same issues I did, such as:

A lack of verse-by-verse, exegetical teaching.



  • The rarity of verse-by-verse, exegetical preaching...

  • The steady, and unappetizing, diet of constant preaching "AT" sin and sinner instead of lifting up Christ and His Word and allowing God to do the work from the inside out (versus white-washing the outside and calling it good)...

  • Constant preaching about the KJV and how bad other translations are (understand that I don't agree with using any critical-text based translation...just don't think that should be my main preaching focus), dress length, going to the movies (even though rentals seem to be OK?), whether I should wear shorts or not (I don't...but again, that shouldn't be one of the three questions you ask me during my ordination... which actually happened to me!), and constantly back-stabbing each other.

  • Animosity and downright hostility to anyone who doesn't agree with them...

  • Dislike and disdain for the term "Theology" and "Doctrine." I preached through II Peter at my old Fundamental church and was hinted at by the pastor that I was teaching too much doctrine...I wonder what he thought of II Timothy 4:2-3?

  • A lack of any real serious theological publications coming out of the group

Again, I don't accuse everyone in the movement of being this way...but after being a member of 4 Fundamental Baptist churches and graduating from 2 of their theological seminaries in the last 12 years I think I can speak from experience.


I'd like to encourage those in the movement to become lovers of doctrine, to not be afraid to question authority as long as it's done in love and with respect, to not be afraid to read "the other side"...after all, you need to know what others believe and teach to be able to comment and understand. I'd also like to encourage them to study and teach the Bible through verse-by-verse and in context...let the Word speak for itself...after all, it speaks of Christ!


For a funny, sad and amazing book about a person that came from a very hard-core Fundamental camp, go to the following link and read the book by James Spurgeon called, "Tales from the Temple." You may not believe what you read. You can also purchase the book on Amazon. http://holycall.com/jspurgeon/tales/TFTT1.HTM


Stay in the Word and let the Word change you!

In Christ


Bro Jim

Bookmark and Share
> posted by Jim Leavenworth at

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

I run a podcast for Recovering Fundamentalists. I am Reformed in my doctrinal views, but I don't push it onto people who are still trying to figure out the matter of sovereign grace. I know this reads like an advertisement, and I'm not trying to spam your website. But if anybody is *suffering* because of what they went through in Fundamentalism, I invite them to the podcast:

http://www.jeriwho.net/podcast/blogger.html

It's a mix of comedy, music, and devotional material.

June 22, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home