Photobucket

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Salvation's Struggle

Have you ever struggled with your salvation? Ever been down? Ever gotten to the point where you even doubted whether you were saved? As many of you know, I came out of the Fundamental Baptist world a little over a year ago...in general, that world is not the place to ever admit that reality. I am a very self-condemning and introspective person and I have a nasty habit (and sin!) of constantly picking at my motives and mulling over my inner heart. Now, don't get me wrong- we should inspect our hearts and pay attention to the work of the Lord by the Spirit through His Word to mold us into the image of Christ, right? What I'm warning against is focusing on our failings and missing Christ! Set your mind on Him, not on yourself! Reminds me of the following Scripture:

Colossians 3:1-4- "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."

I have struggled with my salvation even to the point of doubting its reality at times and have had bouts of depression when I focused way too much on myself and my situation...and got my eyes off Christ. I remember during a seminary class actually admitting this fact to a Fundamental Baptist group of friends...bad mistake! They treated me like a leper and actually made jokes about it! That didn't help. I also heard from the pulpit many times things like, "God's made us in such a way that there's no way you can remember your physical birth...but no way for you to forget your spiritual birth." Preaches well...but it's really not rooted in reality or Scripture. 

Let's not make the same error, faith waivers and sometimes we focus on ourselves, our sin and our situation and get our eyes off the object of our faith, the Lord Jesus Christ...even to the point of not realizing in the present the reality of our position IN CHRIST.

I recently listened to a sermon (actually part of a series that you can find on Sermonaudio.com) that was excellent and very encouraging. I highly recommend you to listen to this one. Very good, very encouraging, very Scriptural. The sermon series is called "Healing Balm for Self-Condemning Hearts" and it was preached by Pastor Jerry Slate of Berean Baptist Church. Here is the link to the specific sermon that I'm talking about:


I won't spoil it but a couple things that jumped out at me today was the need to keep my eyes on Christ...not myself. "Small faith lays ahold of a strong Christ!" We fail, we waiver, we doubt...He stands strong and unmoved...He alone is the source and strength for our faith. Look to Him through His Word and be strengthened...keep your eyes on Christ and forsake the raging waves that threaten and the boisterous wind that seeks to topple us...however, realize that when you do start sinking it is Christ Who will catch you!
Bookmark and Share
> posted by Jim Leavenworth at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home