Photobucket

Friday, June 13, 2008

Kept by the Power of God

from "The Poor Man's Portion" by Robert Hawker 


1 Pet 1:5 "who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation." (NKJV) 

When I call to mind that in me, "that is, in my flesh, dwells no good thing;" when I stand convinced, (as I do most fully, blessed be God the Holy Ghost, for having exercised his gracious work in my soul, to this gracious effect,) that though renewed in the spirit of my mind, yet in that unrenewed part of myself, which is hastening to the grave, every member is virtually all sin; when I know that never did sin break out in acts of open wickedness, in any son or daughter of Adam, but that the seeds of the same sin are in me and my nature; I long not only to know, but always to keep in remembrance by what means, and from what cause it is, that those seeds do not ripen in my heart, as well as in others; that while corrupt nature is the same in all, it is restrained in me, while so many of my fellow creatures, and fellow-sinners, fall a prey to temptation. Blessed Spirit! the merciful scripture of the evening answers the important question. They who are kept, "are kept by the power of God, through faith unto salvation." Here is the solution of the whole subject. With what humbleness of soul, then, ought every child of God to fall down before the throne of grace, under the deepest sense of distinguishing love, in the consciousness that it is divine restraint, and not creature merit, which makes all the difference. Help me, Lord, to go humbly all my days in this view, and let it be my morning thought, as well as my mid-day and evening meditation, that I am kept by your power, through faith unto salvation. Almighty Father, help me to be live my life depending upon your faithfulness in the covenant of grace, established and sealed as it is in the blood of your dear Son, that "you will not" turn away from me to do me good; and that you will put your fear in my heart, that I shall not depart from you.-Jer. 32:40. Precious Lord Jesus! cause me to rest also upon an union with you, a communication of grace from you, and a participation in you, in all the blessings of your redemption. Surely I am the purchase of your blood, and you have said, "your sheep shall never perish, neither shall anyone snatch them out of your hand."-John 10:28. And Oh! you blessed Spirit of all truth, may you be to me an indwelling security from sin, to keep me from falling, and to preserve me faultless in Jesus, until the day of his coming. Make my body your temple, and cause me, by your sweet constraining love, to "glorify God in my body, and in my spirit, which are his."-1 Cor. 6:20.
Bookmark and Share
> posted by Charles Fry at

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Sounds like the P in TULIP. Perseverence of the saints. We persevere because God preserves us!

This is encouraging since sometimes the old temptations do assail my soul. Gotta take the sword of the Spirit to those zombies!

Taking every thought captive, by His grace.

June 13, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home